Friday 12 February 2016

Slo Clone Build Preparation Part 1, PCBs (aka Doing the first load of Boring Stuff)

So, I got boxes from Tube Town and Mouser today, along with an assortment of screws off Ebay (The latter is probably only exciting for those who go to bed with a Screwfix catalogue, to each their own, but please, get help) and seeing as there's a lot of bits, it's time to start planning. I made a list (we all love endless lists of things to do, and things we'd like to do, and lists are like comfort blankets) of things to do, so I am going to go through them here. I'll do this prep stuff in sections as I go along. Partially to not exceed the boredom threshold of the ADD generation, but also so it's grouped nicely into blog posts. And seeing as this bit is about organization, well, should really have some structure to it...

So, first up, the PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards, those things you attach components to) I have aren't marked for components, which will make things slow going later on, and I really don't want to solder components in, get it wrong, then desolder and make a mess, I want everything to be as clean as possible. Seeing as the component (resistor/capacitor/etc) mounts on the opposite side of the board to where the tracks are (those metal lines) and as I don't posses Superman's uncanny ability to see through solid materials I came upon the idea to get paper copies of the layout so I can draw the placement of the components to my hearts content without worrying about messing up the board. I'll also have a reference for later that way as well, in case I need to trouble shoot later on, to easily cross reference the component value to the spreadsheets I have (the parts list).

So, My PCB to do list:
1) Scan Preamp PCB
2) Scan Power PCB
3) Print out Preamp PCB
4) print out Flipped version of Preamp PCB5) Print out Power PCB
6) print out Flipped version of Power PCB


 The PCBs, the larger longer one id for the Preamplifier components, the Shorter Square-ish (yes, you, the pedantic one at the back, I know, rectangular, but it's more square like than the other one) one is for the Power Supply.

 My Aim was to print out exact sized copies so I could tape one to the back to have a reference on the board.






I've abandoned this idea for the following reasons:

1 - Paper near large voltages is probably somewhat of a fire hazard. Whilst I do not fear electrocution that much, setting myself on fire would ruin my hair, and we can't be having that, now can we?

2 - For some reason I have become a technological Luddite. I can't figure out how the images won't print to the size I scanned them in. The preamp board comes out smaller, the power supply board larger.

3 - The longer attempting to fix #2, the more rage and impatience is induced. I am already impatient, and this planning malarky goes against my nature of wanting to jump in. So I have chosen sanity. For once.


So instead, I'm just going to use them to mark where stuff goes, and draw the components on.

Scanning the PCBs: 

The preamp one just about fit. However, next time I do this, I am placing the board in the middle of the scanner, as I've just wasted enough paper trying to print it out to be classified as an eco terrorist (kept cutting off the edge, rendering it useless). Anyway, for printing, a few copies of the scanned image, then save a mirror image version (flip, don't rotate) and print a few of those out too...




The power amp board scanned now as well, again, I'd place this in the middle next time. Same problem as above.







And here we have the end results, ready to be scribbled all over when i transfer the circuit component positions to the printouts. Not today however, got other preparation to do. I have, however, marked each print out as "Track Side" or "Reverse Side" to stop me confusing myself or swearing (well, swearing less) later down the line.






Same here. Pretty pleased with the results even though I am now wanted by Greenpeace.











So, that was exciting wasn't it? I know, not terribly so, but, I am going against my normally chaotic nature when it comes to building things that come as parts. Seeing as there's a lot to do, and I only have the exact number of components I need, it has seemed prudent to actually have a plan instead of jumping, soldering iron blazing, into action, I don't want to end up having to reorder a part I've accidentally put in the wrong place, or need to solder ugly wires onto parts that have legs that are no longer long enough to go where they are supposed to. Even though I'm sure there will be mistakes, I'd kind of like to minimize them...

Anyway, this bit is done. Next, seeing as I have a box of "things" from "places" I need to deal with that, but that's for next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment